Friday, October 28, 2022

GIST or That

On Tuesday, I went to Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston to get a second opinion on this GIST/Lyle thing. First, what a nightmare to drive from East Sandwich on Cape Cod to Boston. My appointment was at 10:00 a.m. We left at 7:15 that morning. We got to the doctor's waiting room at 9:56 whereupon I was promptly called back for vitals and then taken to the examination room. At one point along the way, we saw a traffic sign that said Boston was 16 miles away and that it would take 60 minutes to get there. Seriously. The drive to Manhattan earlier in the month was easier. 

Second, as it turns out, this doctor -- as well as the Sloan Kettering doctor, according to TSO anyway -- isn't sure whether this tumor is a Lyle or a GIST. Good grief. I thought that was settled. Anyway, the Dana Farber doctor suggested that, in six months, I should have another endoscopic ultrasound rather than a CT scan. I like that idea because this little whatever-it-is cannot be seen on the CT scan, but it could be seen and measured during the ultrasound. So, if it grows even just a little bit, the doctor will be able to measure it during an ultrasound. The doctor also will be able to do another biopsy, perhaps a core biopsy next time rather than the simple needle biopsy. That should provide a definitive answer as to what type of tumor is in my gut. 

The Dana Farber doctor also was very good about explaining the significance of GISTs of various sizes, which I appreciated, and he provided me with lots of information in general about them, as well as Lyles.

Hopefully, in six months, I will know exactly what this tumor is and that it has not grown.

2 comments:

  1. It'll be good to know. Meanwhile, I'm happy we got to spend some time together in the hinterlands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like LA traffic! And I'm glad you received more extensive information

    ReplyDelete

Here Comes The Sun

Outliving the Queen

As we begin to navigate the budding Carolean era of King Charles III, I am not the first person to observe that, prior to his reign, when th...