Wednesday, December 21, 2022

The Sea Is Angry, My Friends

The bay has been whipped up for days now. Jim has been saying, quite frequently, "The sea is angry, my friend." I had no idea why until he finally explained that this line was uttered by George Costanza in a Seinfeld episode (The Marine Biologist) that I had not seen. 

The funny thing about Seinfeld and other popular shows -- such as Everybody Loves Raymond, Frazier, and The Office, to name a few -- is that I listen to people rave about them for years but never tune in until a year or so before it's announced that they will be "ending next season." Consequently, there are many episodes of these shows that I have never seen.

Funny story. For years after Seinfeld had ended, I would ask people whether they remember the episode where George gets a mammogram. No one did. They would politely say "no" with an odd look in their eyes. I couldn't understand how no one remembered this episode, as it was hysterical! Finally, someone, maybe it was even Jim, challenged my memory and declared that there was no such episode!! Well, by this point, the internet had come into its own, and so the Google search began. Sure enough, there was no Seinfeld episode in which George got a mammogram!!! I must have dreamed it. I wish I had realized it was a dream while the series was still running. George getting a mammogram would have fit in nicely with the manzier episode. I could have pitched it to the writers and VOILA, I'd be in television, and they'd have another Emmy.

Anyway, the point of this post is that, this past summer, when the local real estate agent was showing us houses that we could rent over the winter, we asked her about the snow. She said that it really doesn't snow here that much, as the bay tempers the climate. However, she mentioned that it is very windy here. She was not kidding or exaggerating in any way, shape, or form. Wind. Wind. Wind. And today is the first day of winter. What's in store for us over the next three months?

It seems as though we put the storm shutters down at least once a week. On Friday of this week, we are supposed to have gusts upward of 50-60 miles per hour. I'm so glad I'm past the days when I would get upset that the wind is messing up my hair. I'd be crying nearly everyday.


1 comment:

  1. The windblown look agrees with you. Ha hah! The manzier episode. James cracks me up. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete

Here Comes The Sun

Outliving the Queen

As we begin to navigate the budding Carolean era of King Charles III, I am not the first person to observe that, prior to his reign, when th...