Thursday, October 13, 2022

Discoveries

Our beach house living room is sparsely furnished. There is a sofa and two chairs. The chairs are not comfortable. Indeed, my feet barely touch the floor when I sit in them.

One of Two Uncomfortable Chairs

Last Thursday, on my way back from urgent care, I passed a garage sale taking place on the side of a back road. A white book shelf caught my eye, prompting me to turn around and go back. When I checked out the book shelf, I realized it wasn't right for me. However, next to it was a smaller sized wing back chair upholstered in hunter green fake velvet. It was $20, and I, like an idiot, didn't buy it.

When I returned to the beach house, I formulated a plan to find the next best thing among the wares for sale at the local Sandwich flea market, as well as a few thrift shops in Sandwich. I went to the flea market on Sunday and yesterday. Both visits were a bust. I went to two thrift stores, neither of which sold furniture, although I did pick up a beautiful leather bag at one of them -- never mind that it smells like it spent the last 50 years in grandma's musty basement. I have a box of baking soda sitting inside it right now in an attempt to eliminate the odor. Unfortunately, my internet research tells me that the best way to get rid of the smell is to use the bag. Ew. I digress.

Anyway, the kind ladies working at both non-furniture-selling thrift shops suggested that I visit Cape Abilities Thrift Shop in Yarmouth, which, they assured me, had a great selection of furniture. 

Cape Abilities Thrift Shop
West Yarmouth, Cape Cod, Massachusetts

The ladies were right! This morning, I decided to drive to Yarmouth to check out Cape Abilities and another thrift shop. I never made it to the second thrift store on my list, as Cape Abilities not only had  the perfect chair but also the perfect matching ottoman.

Starfish Chair and Ottoman

OK, so I paid a little more than $20, but I also got much more than an ugly dark green fake velvet chair, no ottoman. Plus, I have the perfect reading nook. I am thrilled, and I highly recommend Cape Abilities, which has lots of great items, in addition to furniture!

On another note, I have to say that there isn't much in the way of flora and fauna where we live. Oh, sure there's sea grass and various plantings meant to keep the dunes from eroding away, but they are nothing look at. Today, however, I walked out the front door and noticed a single beach rose in bloom. It was beautiful.

Beach Rose

I'm not so sure the rose will be there tomorrow as bad storms are rolling in tonight. The Howlers arrived this afternoon just to make sure we knew things were about to happen. It's OK. The past week has been gloriously warm and sunny.



4 comments:

  1. I love the image of you whiling away retirement hours in your comfy new reading nook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Jim are to be strongly envied!!!

    ReplyDelete

Here Comes The Sun

Outliving the Queen

As we begin to navigate the budding Carolean era of King Charles III, I am not the first person to observe that, prior to his reign, when th...